photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Recipe: Banana Split Cupcakes


Over Labor Day weekend, Graham & I took a day trip to DC and we experienced Georgetown Cupcake for the first time. I've never waited in a line like that for a cupcake before... but the banana split cupcake that I ordered was absolutely worth it. 


When I got home, I googled and I actually found "their" recipe. And eventually I made it. 

And, to be honest, it was an utter disappointment. The addition of bananas to cake batter instantly turn any cake into a fancy banana bread. Maybe I waited too long to make it, but it tasted nothing like the cupcake that I remembered. 


So, for Graham's birthday, I decided to make them again, using the method that I use for my banana pudding cupcakes. These were a HUGE hit. Graham's friends and family devoured them, and gave them rave reviews.

(If you're against doctored up cake mixes, turn away now. Or just use this as inspiration and make a from scratch version of this delicious cupcake =))


I also made another change to the original cupcake... A banana split has pineapple, strawberry & chocolate toppings. This was a banana cupcake, filled with hot fudge, and then more fudge drizzle on top. Too much chocolate, and not enough fruit for me. So when I made it again, I filled the cupcake with strawberry jam & then drizzled the chocolate on top. The fruity addition was exactly what this needed!


So, here is a banana split cupcake that I'm in love with, and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Banana Split Cupcakes

For the Cake
Ingredients:
  • 1 box of yellow cake mix
  • 1 3.9 ounce box of instant banana pudding
  • 1 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of hot water 
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. of vanilla
  • hot fudge
  • sprinkles
  • maraschino cherries 

Directions
Mix all ingredients together, except the bananas and the Nilla wafers. Spoon one spoon full of the batter into the lined muffin tins. Place one cookie and then two slices of banana in the batter. Then finish filling all of the tins. The batter should completely cover the bananas.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes (I baked mine for 19 minutes) or until a tester comes out clean.

For the Frosting
Ingredients:
  • 1 stick of softened, unsalted butter
  • 12 oz. of softened cream cheese
  • 2 T. of vanilla extract
  • 1 lb. of powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Beat the cream cheese & butter together. 
  2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. 
  3. Add in the vanilla extract. 
  4. Mix until combined, scraping the sides as needed. 
Garnish with a drizzle of hot fudge, sprinkles & a maraschino cherry =)






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!