So that creamy tomato soup I made yesterday? This is the perfect accompaniment to it. Not that there is anything wrong with a traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but this was perfect with the soup. The soup was supposed to have basil in it, but I was out. Pesto is primarily made from basil, so I knew it would be fantastic with the soup.
I cheated a lot with this, but there isn't really a science to making grilled cheese. The inspiration for this sandwich was this one that I saw on Pinterest (of course).
Pesto Grilled Cheese
(Recipe adapted from this one.)
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 t. of butter
- 1-2 slices of mozzarella
- 2 T. of pesto (I cheated and used store bought.)
- Spread butter evenly over one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay bread, buttered side down, on a hot electric griddle.
- Lay one slice of cheese on one piece of bread.
- Spread pesto over the other slice of bread.
- Assemble sandwich and let cook until the outside is golden brown and the cheese is gooey.