photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes


One of the best things about the Pioneer Woman's recipes is her fantastically random commentary. So I'm going to post the recipe, but do yourselves a favor and go check it out at her website.

I've never made real mashed potatoes before. I usually just stick to instant. When you make homemade ones, you end up with a massive amount. I made these, and Graham and I ate two meals off of them, and we still have over half of that serving dish left. I know I could just cut the recipe in half, or quarter it, but I never think about it at the time.

These potatoes were delicious. They were rich, and so, so creamy. The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was to cream them with my stand mixer after mashing them up a little. I like my mashed potatoes very smooth, so to me they HAVE to be whipped, not just mashed.

The Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes
(Recipe found in it's entire hilarity here.)

Ingredients:
  • 5 pounds Russet Or Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • 1.5 sticks of butter
  • 8 ounce of Cream Cheese, Softened
  • 3/4 Cup of  Half-and-Half
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 
  1. Peel and cut the potatoes into small, similar sized pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add some salt and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until fork tender.
  2. Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove to remove some of the excess moisture. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients.
  3. Put the potatoes in the bowl of your stand mixer (or a regular bowl if you're using a hand mixer) and add 1 stick of butter, an 8 ounce package of cream cheese and about 3/4 cup of half-and-half. Mix until smooth (or your desired consistency). Next, add a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper.
  4. Mix until all seasoning is well incorporated and place in a baking dish. Slice the rest of the butter and place on the top of the potatoes. Cover tightly with foil and place in a 350-degree oven and heat until butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through.
Note: When making this dish a day or two in advance, take it out of the fridge about 2 to 3 hours before serving time. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!