A couple of weeks ago, I saw a really delicious looking bowl of soup on Instagram (way better looking than mine. I just use an iPhone...) and couldn't wait to make it for Graham & I.
Then I read the recipe and when I saw how much rice, butter and cheese was in this, I still wanted to make it... I just wanted to make it a little bit more figure friendly. I can imagine that if you make the recipe the way it was originally posted, it would be amazing. Because even my modified version was absolutely amazing. We ate on this for a few days, and each time we ate it, it got better & better.
Cheesy Chicken & Rice Soup
(Recipe adapted from this one.)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped into half discs
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into half discs
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 3 T. of butter
- 1/4 C. of all purpose flour
- 48 ounces chicken broth; divided
- 1 C. shredded mild cheddar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, roasted & shredded (or diced)
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, drizzle olive oil & sprinkle salt & pepper over chicken breasts. Roast chicken for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil and then saute the onion, celery and carrots. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. When the veggies are tender, stir in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, melt the butter in the pan. Add in the flour and stir until everything is coated in flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add in 32 ounces of the chicken stock. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan as you add in the stock. When all 32 ounces have been added, let simmer for about 15 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Add the cheese and the hot sauce, and stir until cheese has melted. When cheese has melted, stir in the sour cream, the remaining 16 ounces of chicken stock, the cooked rice & the chicken. Let simmer for about 5 minutes and serve.