Graham and I are down to a handful of days left together before he deploys, so I wanted to make a couple of his favorite dinners this week. He absolutely LOVES my chicken pesto pizza, so that was on our menu for the other night. However, when I got home from work Tuesday night, I wasn't in the mood to cook, so we went out for pizza.
Not wanting to have pizza two nights in a row, I decided to use the same flavors and combine them in a different way. And it was every bit as successful as the pizza always is. The pesto was so delicious stirred into a creamy Alfredo sauce, and the addition of the olives and tomatoes gave it a little something extra. Topped with a perfectly grilled chicken breast and served with garlic bread, this is one of the best dinners I've made in a while.
I won't make this very often, because I made the mistake of calculating the calories (ouch!), but I'll definitely keep this in my repertoire for special nights where calories don't matter.
Fettuccine with Pesto Cream Sauce & Grilled Chicken (6 servings)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 stick of butter; chopped into small pieces (about 8)
- 1 cup of pesto (I was lazy & used jarred...)
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes; halved
- 1/4 cup of kalamata olives
- 3/4 of a box of fettuccine
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cooked chicken breasts; optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat heavy cream to a simmer in a large sauce pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the butter in, one piece at a time. Whisk the sauce while you're melting the butter.
- Stir in the pesto and the Parmesan cheese.
- Fold in the tomatoes and olives.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Mix well, making sure the pasta is evenly coated with the sauce.