photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers



I love stuffed peppers. I've shared my favorite recipe for the "Italian" style ones before, and now it's time for another one. I'm sure there are a 1,000 recipes out there for all sorts of different flavor combinations, but this one was made out of what I had in my pantry & my fridge/freezer and I must say I was pretty pleased with how they turned out. They were tasty enough that I managed to eat them for four days and wasn't completely tired of them when they were finally gone.

I have to add here that I am REALLY ready for Graham to be home. My freezer is full of meals that I've made that I haven't been able to finish, and I get tired of eating leftovers for days on end. However, I love that I haven't dirtied up one pot of pan all week... that's pretty awesome. He'll be home soon, and I've spent the past few days meal planning & making grocery lists for when he is home, and I'm excited to get back to cooking a lot again.

*ahem* Anyways. Recipe.

Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers (Serves 8-10 people)

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 large bell peppers (any color would be fine, but red were on sale that day)**
  • 1 lb. of ground sausage
  • 2 T. of olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic; minced
  • 1 red onion; finely chopped
  • 2 cans of Rotel with Green Chilies
  • 1 C. of frozen corn kernels
  • 1 14.5 ounce can of black beans; rinsed well & drained
  • 1 C. of cooked brown rice
  • 2 T. of cumin
  • 2T. of chili powder
  • 1 t. of salt
  • pepper to taste
  • cheese of your choice

Directions:
  1. Cook the rice according to package directions. Mine took an hour to cook, so if needed to start first.)
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  3. Slice the peppers in half from top to bottom. Be careful to keep the tops as intact as possible when pulling them apart. You want to keep these as "boats" for the the filling, and if the only have three sides, you'll wind up with a big mess.
  4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. When boiling, add the peppers to the water. Cook for 5 minutes, drain & set aside.
  5. Preheat a LARGE skillet on medium-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic until just tender and fragrant. Add the sausage and let if brown in the pan. (I used Johnsonville Mild Sausage and it gave off NO fat. If the sausage you use gives off a ton of fat & grease, drain it before continuing.)
  6. When the meat is brown, add the can of (rinsed & drained) black beans, the corn, the tomatoes (with their juices) & the seasonings. Put a lid on the pot, reduce the heat to low & let it simmer until the rice is finished.
  7. Once the rice is cooked, stir the rice into the meat/veggie mixture.
  8. Lay the peppers in a baking dish and fill each with the mixture. Cover the dish tightly with foil and cook for 40 minutes. When finished, remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
**(I used four peppers and had some stuffing left over. So, depending on the size of your peppers, or how full you stuff them, you could make a few extra.)

Serve with a side salad for a delicious, healthy dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!