photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crock Pot Applesauce

I've never been a fan of crock pot cooking, but I've actually been using it a good bit lately.

Back at Thanksgiving, I bought two huge bags of Granny Smith apples for baking. When Graham and I were cleaning after our Christmas trip, I found a bag of apples in the pantry. Shockingly, they were still good. I googled a recipe for applesauce and found this one on SkinnyTaste.

It was so easy to make, and it is absolutely delicious! I didn't even have to use an immersion blender or food processor to make it smooth. The apples were so tender that my potato masher easily broke them up. I've been eating it on it's own, I've been using spoonfuls as a tasty add in for yogurt, and I've eaten a few spoonfuls here & there while making dinner. This recipe is a great way to get rid of any apples that are a little past their prime, and is a delicious & healthy snack.


Crock Pot Applesauce
Makes 12 servings
(Recipe adapted from this one.)

Ingredients:
  • 9 medium apples, peeled, cored & sliced (this tool is awesome for this!)
  • 1/2 c. of apple cider (I used a Green Mountain Apple Cider K-Cup)
  • 1 strip of lemon peel (between 1"-2")
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 2 cinnamon sticks

Directions:
  1. After peeling, coring & slicing the apples, drop them in the crock pot.
  2. Add the lemon peel, juice, cinnamon stick, & apple cider.
  3. Cook on low for six hours, stirring occasionally.
  4. If you want a smoother sauce when finished, use an immersion blender, food processor, or even a masher to reach your desired consistency.

Note:
  • The original recipe call for sugar, which I omitted since I was using the apple cider. I thought the extra liquid would be beneficial and it turned out plenty sweet.
  • The original recipe says this can be frozen, but should last for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!