photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Monday, December 2, 2013

Road Trip Day 5: Witch City & Corn Mazes.

Salem, Massachusetts in October is such a fun place to be. The take total advantage of their Witchy past & do the whole town up for Halloween. The decorations are fun, scary & totally creative. 
I loved the swinging pot heads. 

  

Other than the commercial Halloween decorations, Salem is a lovely, charming, picturesque New England town. 

Lunch in Salem was actually a stressful moment for me. Last time I was in Salem, I ate at a restaurant called Tavern on the Square and had the best buffalo chicken pizza of my life. Weeks leading up to the trip, I knew I wanted to eat there again, but was unsure if I'd order the pizza. I feared it wouldn't be as good as I remembered it. Once we got there, I asked the waitress, and she said the recipe for the pizza had changed since the last time I was there. Graham ordered it anyways, and I had a turkey sandwich. The pizza was not nearly as good as it was the last time. My sandwich was good, but nothing special. 


Even though it was such a tragic moment in our nation's history, I've always been fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials. That was the whole point of my first trip to New England 4 years ago, and the history of the area is fascinating. Even though Salem is what people think of when it comes to the witch trials, the nearby cities of Danver & Andover are actually more important historically when it comes to the events of 1692. Salem is home to a few historically important homes & a memorial to the witch trials. Both are fascinating.


Old cemetaries are fascinating to me, and Salem has a few of those. They also offer nighttime graveyard tours. How creepy would that be?

Last time I was here, we didn't get a chance to go into the Witch House. This time, it was at the top of our list. The house only has a few rooms open to the public, and most of the artifacts are not original to the home. They are period specific though, and very cool. The home once belonged to Jonathan Corwin, who was a judge on the trials. He purchased the home in 1675 and it stayed in their family until the 1800's. It amazes me that a house built in the 1600's is still standing and still retains some of it's original features. There's a sign upstairs asking you not to cross the line in order to protect the original floors. It's amazing. 

 
 

After we left Salem, Graham decided we should find a corn maze to do. I was less than enthusiastic, but it was actually a lot of fun. 


After the corn maze, we changed & headed out to Cambridge for a sushi dinner. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was pretty good. The three pictured together were delicious. The one pictured alone was the nastiest thing I have ever tasted. I only managed to choke down one, and Graham ate the rest.

After dinner we headed back into Boston & stopped in to Cheers for a touristy drink to end our day. Here's a tip: go upstairs if you're just having a drink. It's a little quieter and the bar has name plates of characters attached... Any guesses as to which character I was on the hunt for? ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!