The soup I made today is based on this recipe, but with some serious changes.
- This recipe only calls for 2 cups of stock, and that wasn't nearly enough for me. Granted, I used more noodles (I used a cup instead of half a cup) & added chicken. I used 6 cups of stock and this is a VERY chunky soup.
- I added 2 cut up chicken breasts.
- One thing Rachel Ray drills into you is that frozen spinach is the best value in the grocery store, and she's dead on. I used a box of Harris Teeters frozen spinach (it was $1.oo).
- Chicken: $2.00 (It was on sale at HT for buy 1 pack, get 2 free. So I got 3 packs of chicken breasts for $6.00.)
- Garbanzo beans: $0.59
- Canned tomatoes: $1.47
- Spinach: $1.00
- Broth: $1.50
- Onion: $1.47
- Herbs & spices: $0.00 (I keep a very well stocked spice rack)