photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Monday, January 31, 2011

Baked Parmesan Risotto

I love risotto, but have never made it myself. I'm impatient and don't think I could stand by a pot stirring forever.

This easy, "baked" risotto from Ina Garten makes this recipe perfect for a patience-less cook like myself!

Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups arborio rice
  • 5 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350° F with rack set in center of oven. Combine the rice and 4 cups chicken stock in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, but slightly firm.

2) Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and stir in the remaining cup of chicken stock, Parmesan cheese, wine, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir vigorously for a few minutes until rice is thick. Stir in peas and parsley at the very end. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.

Notes:

  • This makes 4 dinner sized portions; I used it as a side dish, so when I make it again I'll definitely cut it in half.
  • I warmed the chicken stock in my dutch oven while waiting for the oven to preheat.
  • I didn't have any parsley on hand, so I omitted it.
  • I cut the amount of salt that Ina used. The parmesan adds a good bit of salt, as does the chicken stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!