photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spaghetti & Meatballs




I've never been a fan of spaghetti & meatballs. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spaghetti, but I usually make it with a super chunky, very thick sauce (lots of peppers, onions and mushrooms). Half the time, I don't even add the meat. My fiance is a hardcore carnivore though, and I know he likes meatballs, so when I saw this recipe on Our Best Bites last week, I knew I had to try it. These were FABULOUS! The meatballs were made of spicy Italian sausage and ground beef. They were flavored with lots of garlic, basil, salt & pepper and were so, so good. 

The sauce was delicious as well. It definitely had a kick to it (maybe from the fact that I added extra heat from the red pepper flakes). It didn't thicken up as much as I thought it would, but the flavor was fantastic and made up for a thinner sauce than I usually prefer.

Spaghetti & Meatballs
(Recipe adapted from this one here.)

Meatballs
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
  • 1/2 c. Panko
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 T. basil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. salt
Directions
  1. Combine meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. 
  2. Shape into balls, whatever size you like (mine were about one inch), and then rolling it between your hands to make them round. 
  3. Place on a baking sheet and broil until the meatballs start to brown (about 5 minutes).

Spaghetti Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • Olive oil
  • 2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
  • 16 oz. tomato sauce
  • 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes; drained
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Pinch of baking soda (to help neutralize the acid)
  • Basil (to garnish)
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in the bottom of a dutch oven. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 3 minutes). 
  2. Add remaining sauce ingredients and combine well. Bring to a simmer and then add meatballs. 
  3. Simmer on low, uncovered, until desired consistency is reached; about 25-30 minutes for a sauce that's of medium thickness.
  4. Serve over spaghetti with some freshly grated Parmesan on top.
This sauce is now my go to for any time I need sauce. Anytime I need tomato sauce, I make a pot of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!