photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Portabella Mushroom Pizza

I love pizza. A lot. Especially when it's loaded down with tons of delicious veggies. But it is not the healthiest thing you can eat.

I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday. And if I'm going to be in excruciating pain for the next 30 days, I'm not going to ruin the results by eating a traditional pizza.

I was STUNNED by how good this was. I expected it to be tasty, but I wasn't expecting it to be as delicious as it was. It still had a bit of fat because of the cheese, but I'm guessing it's a minimal amount compared to traditional pizza. The pack of mushrooms I bought had two huge mushroom caps, so I can not wait to make another pizza later this week!


Portabella Mushroom Pizza
Ingredients
  • One large mushroom cap
  • one can of diced tomatoes; some of the liquid drained off
  • sliced & diced veggies of your choice (I used green bell pepper and kalamata olives)
  • Cheese of your choice
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Directions
  • Preheat the over to 350 degrees
  • Pour the partially drained tomatoes into a saucepan. Turn on medium high heat and let these sit for a few minutes. They'll thicken up and the flavor will intensify. 
  • Scoop the gills out of the mushroom. Be careful not to scoop through the mushroom. 
  • Brush the mushroom with olive oil all over and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
  • Spoon some of the tomatoes into the bottom of the mushroom.
  • Top with toppings and then cover it all with cheese
  • Bake for 15 minutes. Once this was done, I did turn on the broiler for a minute to get the cheese a little gooier. 



This was fantastic. I went with tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, because sauce usually tastes heavier, and I wanted these to taste really light.

I served this with a salad (yes, with more olives) and had a completely healthy, satisfying, meat free meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!