Make this cornbread. Seriously. Print the recipe, step away from your computer and go bake this right this moment.
I made this to go alongside the chicken chili I made and it was the highlight of the meal. Remember Graham's reaction to the chicken pesto pizza? I got the same reaction to this cornbread. He spread butter on his first slice, and I told him it didn't really need it. So, his next slice was butter-less, and he was still moaning and salivating. His initial reaction: "Ahhhhhhh."
This really was fantastic. It was sweet and moist and makes the dry, crumbly cornbread that passes for edible at so many places really sad to me. Because this was amazing. The ONLY change I would make would be to puree the corn before adding it. The kernels of corn bugged me, but the flavor was epic.
So yeah. GO. MAKE. THIS. NOW.
Sweet, Southern Cornbread
Original Recipe from A Sweet Pea Chef.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2.5 t. baking powder
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of pureed creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix together thoroughly. However, do not overmix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.