photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Broccoli & Cheese Soup


I love broccoli & cheese soup. LOVE it. I order it every time I go to Panera, and I think I was almost in tears one time when I went to Chili's and they were out. For some reason, I've never made it myself though. But after my cheesy chicken & rice soup turned out so well, I decided to attempt my favorite creamy soup: broccoli & cheese.

This recipe was a huge hit. It was absolutely delicious, super quick and easy, and not nearly as high in calories as I had always assumed it was. I was also really happy that this soup didn't include Velveeta. Most of the recipes I looked at called for "processed cheese loaf". No thank you. I did veer from the original recipe in that I used a bag of pre-shredded cheese and frozen broccoli, but it was still amazing. And quicker to make. I also didn't puree it all the way. I wanted some actual big pieces of broccoli to remain.

But you should make this. Soon. It's really, really good.

"Almost Famous" Broccoli & Cheese Soup
(Adapted from this recipe.)

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion, diced 
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 16 ounce bag of frozen broccoli
  • 1 large carrot, shredded or finely chopped
  • 2.5 cups (about 8 ounces) grated cheese (I used two cups of Colby jack & one cup of sharp cheddar)

Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. 
  3. Whisk in the flour and cook 3 to 4 minutes Gradually whisk in the half & half until it reaches a smooth consistency. 
  4. Slowly add the chicken stock, nutmeg, and salt & pepper. Bring to a simmer. Add the carrots and broccoli, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
  5. Puree the soup according to your preference. (You could put it in a food processor/blender or use an immersion blender. I used an immersion blender and left it pretty chunky.)
  6. Add the cheese and stir constantly until cheese has completely melted. Serve with a sprinkle of extra cheddar on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!