Especially when it means getting to pig out on a bowl of really good, really figure friendly chili.
I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and even though typically I don't care very much for crock pot cooking, I figured I'd give it a shot. My only complaint with this dinner was with the crock pot itself. This thing is TINY. It's an old one that Graham had from his pre-Heather days. This thing was filled to the brim, and if I hadn't set it in the sink to protect it from my animals, I would have had a realllllly big mess on my hands. I guess I'm going to have to buy a bigger one. And a soda stream. I've decided I really need a soda stream in my life...
I modified the recipe a little bit. I added more stuff. And I didn't have any taco seasoning on hand, so I just improvised with my well stocked spice cabinet. This was absolutely delicious... which is a good thing. It made 10 servings, so I'll be eating this for pretty much every meal over the next couple of days =)
Another thing I love about this, is that it only cost me about $4.00. I keep a VERY well stocked pantry (I have about 8 cans of every tomato product made & a ridiculous variety of beans), so all I had to buy was an onion & the chicken. Not bad for ten meals =)
Taco Chicken Chili
(Recipe adapted from this one.)
- 1 red onion; diced
- 3 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 14.5 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 16 ounce can of black beans; rinsed & drained
- 1 16 ounce can of dark red kidney beans; rinsed & drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can of corn; rinsed & drained
- 3 T. cumin
- 3 T. chili powder
- 3 T. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 1 T. black pepper
- 2 lbs. of chicken tenders
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Shredded cheddar (optional)
- Put the chopped onion in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes (with their juices) and tomato sauce.
- Mix the spices and add those to the crock pot as well.
- Place the chicken on top and cover.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 9-10 hours. Mine was perfect in about 5 hours. I think it was because the chicken tenders were small and cooked quicker.
- Remove the chicken, shred it, and then add back to the chili. Stir it all together, so that everything is combined well.
Without the addition of cheese/yogurt/sour cream, this has less than 200 calories and about 1 gram of fat.