photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Taco Chicken Chili

Not too many people are happy to sit down with a hot & spicy bowl of chili when it's 104 degrees outside. But I'm not anything like most people. And I'm completely okay with that.

Especially when it means getting to pig out on a bowl of really good, really figure friendly chili.

I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and even though typically I don't care very much for crock pot cooking, I figured I'd give it a shot. My only complaint with this dinner was with the crock pot itself. This thing is TINY. It's an old one that Graham had from his pre-Heather days. This thing was filled to the brim, and if I hadn't set it in the sink to protect it from my animals, I would have had a realllllly big mess on my hands. I guess I'm going to have to buy a bigger one. And a soda stream. I've decided I really need a soda stream in my life...

I modified the recipe a little bit. I added more stuff. And I didn't have any taco seasoning on hand, so I just improvised with my well stocked spice cabinet. This was absolutely delicious... which is a good thing. It made 10 servings, so I'll be eating this for pretty much every meal over the next couple of days =)

Another thing I love about this, is that it only cost me about $4.00. I keep a VERY well stocked pantry (I have about 8 cans of every tomato product made & a ridiculous variety of beans), so all I had to buy was an onion & the chicken. Not bad for ten meals =)


Taco Chicken Chili
(Recipe adapted from this one.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 red onion; diced
  • 3 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis
  • 1 14.5 ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 1 16 ounce can of black beans; rinsed & drained
  • 1 16 ounce can of dark red kidney beans; rinsed & drained
  • 1 14.5 ounce can of corn; rinsed & drained
  • 3 T. cumin
  • 3 T. chili powder
  • 3 T. cayenne pepper
  • 1 T. kosher salt
  • 1 T. black pepper
  • 2 lbs. of chicken tenders
  • Greek yogurt (optional)
  • Shredded cheddar (optional)

Directions:
  1. Put the chopped onion in the bottom of the crock pot.
  2. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes (with their juices) and tomato sauce.
  3. Mix the spices and add those to the crock pot as well.
  4. Place the chicken on top and cover.
  5. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 9-10 hours. Mine was perfect in about 5 hours. I think it was because the chicken tenders were small and cooked quicker.  
  6. Remove the chicken, shred it, and then add back to the chili. Stir it all together, so that everything is combined well.
You could serve with some plain greek yogurt on top instead of sour cream, or just do what I did and sprinke some shredded cheddar on top.

Without the addition of cheese/yogurt/sour cream, this has less than 200 calories and about 1 gram of fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!