photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lightened up Salisbury Steak


Skinnytaste Salisbury Steak (Click here for the recipe)

Skinnytaste is my new favorite food blog. Seriously. TONS of recipes modified for a more health friendly lifestyle. I've made a couple recipes off of her site in the past few weeks, and you would never, ever guess you were eating a meal that is relatively low in fat and calories.

Her recipe for salisbury steak was very good. It was lightened up by using a combination of ground white meat turkey and lean (92%) ground beef. I served it with green beans and mashed potatoes. This also makes a TON. It makes eight patties, and since I'm eating alone these days, I've been eating leftovers for the past three nights. I'm going to have it for dinner one more night, and then I'm going to freeze the rest.

I'm just going to link to her site, since I only changed a small thing (it calls for 2 cups of beef broth & 1/4 cup of water; and I used all beef broth). I did add a packet of Swanson Flavor Boost (beef, of course), since some of the reviews said it was a little bland. I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Next time I make this (and there will definitely be a next time) I will add more veggies. A little garlic never hurt anything, and it could use more onion. It only called for a 3/4 cup of minced onion. Half was mixed in with the meat, and half was mixed in with the sauce. Not NEARLY enough. Next time I'll use an entire onion. mince half of it, and put that in the meat, and thinly slice the other half to cook in the sauce.

But anyways. This was really good, but I think it could be even better.

Yes those are canned green beans. Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!