photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Clean out the kitchen" Penne

 So the other day I ate a lot of crap at work. For our weekly staff meetings the kitchen is filled with lots of sweets & baked goods. I had two croissants filled with a sweetened cream cheese. On top of that I had a handful of Starbursts. All I wanted for dinner was something light and full of vegetables.

I had no idea where this was going when I started grabbing things from the fridge, produce bowl & the pantry, but I am VERY happy with where it ended up. There wasn't anything for a sauce, just the moisture given off by the vegetables, but it was just enough to coat the pasta and the flavors were fantastic. At the last minute I decided it needed something else, so I drained a can of tuna in water and added it to the simmering vegetables. This was an absolutely amazing dinner and is going into my weeknight meal rotation. I wish I had something better to call it, but I'm not good with names =) Hopefully you'll try it, and if you think of something better to call it let me know =)


"Clean out the kitchen" Penne (You can find a PDF printable here!)
(Serves 4)
Ingredients:
  • 1 zucchini; quartered and chopped.
  • 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes; halved
  • 1/2 cup of kalamata olives; halved
  • 1/2 of a red onion; thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic; minced
  • 2 T. of olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups of penne (whole wheat would make this healthier)
  • 10 fresh basil leaves; torn.
  • 1 5.5 ounce can of tuna in water
  • 1/2 t. of crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Optional: Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the penne and cook according to package directions.
  2. In a large pan (with a lid) heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions & zucchini. When they have softened (about 3-4 minutes) add the garlic. 
  3. Add the tomatoes, olives, drained tuna & red pepper flakes.
  4. Place the lid on the pan and let simmer until the pasta is finished cooking.
  5. Add drained pasta and the basil to the pan of vegetables and toss well. 
  6.  Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!