During Christmas I took place in a food blogger cookie swap. Each person got three boxes of cookies in the mail from random food bloggers. One of the bloggers I received cookies from was The Lean Green Bean. Lindsay sent me these chocolate carmelitas and they were one of the best cookies I have ever had. Graham and I both raved over them and finished them off very, very quickly.
He and I were talking via Skype one night and he requested I send him M&M cookies, and M&M trail mix. I sent him what he requested, and I decided to make and send these as well. And I am so glad I did. They were even better than I remembered them to be. Luckily they made it to him quickly, and he and his friends loved them as much as I did. They're gooey and chocolately and just absolutely delicious.
Thank you Lindsay for introducing me to these, thank you Graham for requesting various M&M snacks, and thank you USPS for getting this care package to him much quicker than the last one.
(Adapted from this recipe.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 14 ounce package caramels; unwrapped
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of plain M&M's
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil. Let the foil hang over the side (the 13 inch) side of the pan. Spray the foil well with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1 3/4 cups of the oats, brown sugar, soda, and salt. Add melted butter and mix until texture is crumbly. Mix the last 1/4 cup of the oats into half of the mixture and set aside & press the other half into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a small (microwave-safe bowl) combine caramels and milk. Microwave on 50 percent power for 3 minutes; stir & then microwave for an additional 3 minutes or until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, candy, coconut and pecans over crust. Drizzle evenly with melted caramel mixture and top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. When cool, use foil to lift out and & then cut into squares.