photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Easy Guacamole for Two

Two questions:
1) Why have I never made guacamole before?
2) Why don't more people make it themselves?

Graham and I have had Chipotle inspired burrito bowls for dinner the past two nights. These are so, so good. If you eat burrito bowls at Chipotle, Moe's, Qdoba, I highly recommend you try making them at home. You'll save a ton of money, and the end result is every bit as delicious.


I've made these bowls a few times now. I've never really shared them before, because it's just layering stuff you like. But, since every component that went into these was homemade, I've decided to share the recipes I use for building a delicious (and much cheaper) burrito bowl.

The guacamole is on top, so we'll start there. Graham LOVES guacamole. I could take it or leave it. So, I stopped by the grocery store and the plan was just to buy some. But the options sucked (I've heard decent things about Wholly Guacamole, but the ghetto Kroger didn't have that).


The $4.49 one actually doesn't look too bad. It's 95% avocado, onions, peppers & salt, and a lot of preservatives. The cheaper one is just guacamole flavored dip. I know the list of ingredients isn't readable, I just took this to show how many ingredients are listed, when real guacamole has about five. (If you're curious like me, and want to read the ingredients, click here. The fact that this has less than 2% of avocado had me shaking my head.)

So, I just took my (not so) little butt to the produce section and picked up one avocado and a lime. I wasn't sure what else I needed, but I figured I had the rest of the stuff I needed at home.

Wrong.

I had used all of my onion & jalapeno in my homemade pico de gallo and I was out of cilantro. So. My solution was to just put some of the pico into the bowl and smash it all together. It. Worked. Perfectly. I love that I can make a huge bowl of pico and use that to make an entirely different dip, and the guacamole was so delicious. Graham loved it and we easily finished off the amount that I made.


Guacamole for Two
Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1/4 of a cup of pico de gallo

Directions:
  1. Scoop the avocado out of it's 'shell' & remove the pit.
  2. Squeeze the lime (be careful about the seeds) over the avocado & sprinkle with the salt.
  3. Drain any liquid off of the pico, and add that to the bowl.
  4. Smash it all together (Graham bought me a gorgeous, hand-carved mortar & pestle from Puerto Rico, so I used the pestle from that. If you don't have one, use a fork or a potato masher, or whatever else you have).
  5. Taste for seasonings & serve immediately.

Guacamole has a ridiculously short shelf life, so I wouldn't make a lot of this unless it's all going to be eaten at that time, but this is so simple and can easily be doubled, tripled, whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!