photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Friday, May 10, 2013

Just one of those days...


Wednesday was just one of those days. Not necessarily bad, just kind of annoying. I was super busy at work, which honestly doesn't happen a whole lot, and I've just been tired lately. I wanted to go home, have a margarita and a homemade burrito bowl for dinner.

Once I got home, the day got longer. In the middle of making the homemade salsa, my POS food processor broke. Then, I was letting the dog out and she stepped on my foot, her paw digging into the bone that I broke back in 2006... the bone that still has three screws in it. It. Hurt. Like. Hell. I really needed my dinner and my drink. But, of course I was out of margarita mix. So I settled for a glass of white wine, my delicious dinner & an episode (or two... ;)) of Frasier.

We have these a lot. They are SO good. I've been thinking about them since my friend Heather asked me about the recipe over the weekend and since Amber blogged about her version earlier this week. These are so versatile. This "recipe" is based off of what I always order at Chipotle, but these can be easily customized to whatever your personal preference is.


Burrito Bowls
Ingredients

  • Cilantro lime rice (1 c. of rice, 2 c. of chicken stock. Cook according to package directions. Remove from heat and stir in the zest & juice of one lime and a handful of chopped cilantro.
    • Any type of rice or grain will work with this. Most of the time I use brown rice. But I have used quinoa & white rice, for those times I don't want to wait an hour...
  • Black beans 
  • Grilled protein (I go back & forth between chicken & steak...)
  • Salsa
  • Pico de Gallo (My go-to pico method is 3 vine ripened tomatoes, 1 jalapeno, 1/4 of an onion, a handful of cilantro, juice & zest of one lime & salt to taste. Chop all ingredients, toss together in bowl with the salt & lime. This is best made in advance so the flavors have a chance to come together.)
  • Guacamole
  • Shredded cheese (whatever you like)

Directions:
  1. Layer everything in a bowl. (I like rice, beans, cheese, chicken, salsa, pico & guacamole. Putting the cheese in between two hot items makes the cheese all melty and makes this whole thing even more delicious.)
  2. Devour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!