photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars



These.
Are.
Epic.

And this is coming from a girl who doesn't even like peanut butter that much.

I think what made these so amazing was the subtle hint of coconut. Several months ago, I tried the Earth Balance Coconut Peanut Butter and it was amazing. It's the first peanut butter I can just eat out of the jar with a spoon. I thought of that peanut butter when I decided to make these.

Unfortunately, it's like $8 a jar, so I wasn't about to bake with it. Instead, I decided to get the same flavor combination by subbing the vanilla extract with coconut extract. It worked out perfectly. I was able to get the subtle coconut flavor I was looking for, and able to use my "buy one, get one free" jars of peanut butter from Whole Foods.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that Graham and I ate this entire pan of bars.

My excuse is PMS...

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
(Recipe adapted from this one.)

Ingredients:

  • 6 T. of room temperature butter
  • 1/2 C. of salted peanut butter (either creamy or chunky is fine)
  • 1 C. of sugar
  • 1/4 C. light brown sugar; packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4-1/2 t. of sea salt (plus a little more to sprinkle on top before baking)
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 C. of chocolate chips 
  • 1 t. of coconut extract (optional, can use vanilla)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 x 8 pan & set aside. You can also line the pan with foil or parchment if you'd prefer. 
  2. Sift together the flour, salt & baking powder and set aside. 
  3. The bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter & peanut butter on medium until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sugar and beat until light & fluffy. 
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each egg has been added and then add coconut extract. 
  5. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed through the batter.
  6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. You want these to still be soft and gooey in the center. Let cool completely until cutting. 
  7. Cut into 20 small pieces. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!