photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Thursday, December 12, 2013

"Award Winning" Chili

Okay... so maybe this chili has never won any major awards, but last year it did win a chili cook off in my office =) 

This chili isn't anything exotic or special. It reminds me of the chili my mom made when I was a little kid. This chili is hearty, spicy, full of vegetables and has become one of our favorite meals. It's especially easy to make, since it comes together in a crock pot. Every time I make it I cook the meat the night before, throw it in the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients, refrigerate it over night & then turn the crock pot on before work in the morning. 

The first day of winter is coming up soon. This recipe would definitely be a welcome addition to your repertoire!


"Award Winning" Chili
A HNW Original ;)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. of spicy Italian sausage
  • 1 lb. of ground sirloin
  • 2 cans of chili beans in hot sauce, in their sauce. 
  • 2 cans of dark red kidney beans; rinsed & drained. 
  • 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes 
  • 3 10 oz. cans of mild Rotel
  • 2 T. of tomato paste
  • 3 bell peppers (any colors); chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 jalapenos; finely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/3 c. of Chili powder
  • 1/3 c. of ground Cumin
  • 2 T. of cayenne pepper
  • 2 T. of salt (or more to taste)

Directions:
  1. Brown meat in a large skillet. Drain grease & place meat in the bottom of the crock pot. 
  2. Add chopped vegetables (I leave the seeds & membranes with my jalapenos, but remove them if you want to cut the heat a little), the canned vegetables & beans, and the seasonings.
  3. Place the lid on and cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours. 
  4. Top with desired toppings (I like chopped avocado & shredded cheese. My husband likes sour cream & shredded cheese).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!