This chili isn't anything exotic or special. It reminds me of the chili my mom made when I was a little kid. This chili is hearty, spicy, full of vegetables and has become one of our favorite meals. It's especially easy to make, since it comes together in a crock pot. Every time I make it I cook the meat the night before, throw it in the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients, refrigerate it over night & then turn the crock pot on before work in the morning.
The first day of winter is coming up soon. This recipe would definitely be a welcome addition to your repertoire!
"Award Winning" Chili
A HNW Original ;)
- 1 lb. of spicy Italian sausage
- 1 lb. of ground sirloin
- 2 cans of chili beans in hot sauce, in their sauce.
- 2 cans of dark red kidney beans; rinsed & drained.
- 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 10 oz. cans of mild Rotel
- 2 T. of tomato paste
- 3 bell peppers (any colors); chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos; finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. of Chili powder
- 1/3 c. of ground Cumin
- 2 T. of cayenne pepper
- 2 T. of salt (or more to taste)
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Drain grease & place meat in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add chopped vegetables (I leave the seeds & membranes with my jalapenos, but remove them if you want to cut the heat a little), the canned vegetables & beans, and the seasonings.
- Place the lid on and cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours.
- Top with desired toppings (I like chopped avocado & shredded cheese. My husband likes sour cream & shredded cheese).