This is one of my favorite ways to eat chicken and rice. We grilled the chicken, but you could totally saute it as well. But the smoky taste the grill gives the chicken is so good with the sweetness of the pineapple. I also love this because you have to add very little salt and hardly any fat. I love salt even though I know it's bad for you, and I use way more than I should. In this case the only salt I used was what was in the grill seasoning mix.
We only made enough for two people, but the salsa makes enough for four people. So, either make two more chicken breasts & more rice, or use up the rest with a bag of tortilla chips. It'll keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, but I like to snack while watching Golden Girls and Frasier every night, so... =)
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Steak seasoning (I use McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 1 8 oz. can of crushed pineapple; drained
- 1 10 oz. can of Rotel with chilis; drained
- 1 15 oz. can of corn; drained
- 1/2 c. of chunky salsa
- 1/2 c. of rice
- 1 c. of low sodium chicken stock
- Make rice according to directions, using the chicken stock in place of water (if you have never done this, you must. It gives the rice SO much flavor, without having to add a lot of salt or butter).
- Mix the corn, Rotel, salsa and pineapple & refrigerate till ready to serve (the earlier you make this, the better! It gets better the longer it sits together).
- Sprinkle the chicken with the steak seasoning and grill. Once the chicken is done, let sit for a few minutes before you slice into it.
- Create a bed of the rice on your plate, then the salsa and then a sliced chicken breast.