photo recipes-1.png  photo wedding.png  photo homeprojects.png  photo blogroll.png  photo travel-1.png

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Felt Flower Napkin Rings


Last week I saw these super cute napkin rings on The Daily Garnish. She had blogged about the baby shower that was thrown in her honor, and part of the table decor were these napkin rings. I absolutely loved them, and wanted to potentially make them for part of the table decor at my wedding.

The problem? She didn't make them and there wasn't a tutorial on how to make them. I tried searching for them online & on Pinterest, but couldn't find what I was looking for. So... I had to make do. I found a tutorial on Jones Design Company (who, by the way, inspired the EPIC accent wall) for making cute little felt flowers. Once I knew how to make the flowers, I'm sure I could figure the rest of it out for myself. I am fairly intelligent =)

Start cutting out the pieces.

You'll need the band, a circle for the center, and 7-8 flowers to be the petals.

Fold the flower in half.

Fold it in half again.

Snip off the end.

Add glue to the end.

Adhere the folded piece to the circle. You'll end up with four pieces on the outside of the circle. Then fill the circle up with your remaining pieces until you've reached desired fullness.

Finished flower and the band.

Ta-da!

Love how this turned out!!!

I didn't photograph the last step, because technically I haven't done it yet. But you glue a pin to the base of the flower, and then you can pin the flower to the edges of the napkin. I've decided not to glue the ends of the band together, because I think it will be much easier to get the napkins & silverware in the holder if I'm wrapping the band around the napkin, instead of sliding it in.

I'm really happy with how these turned out. My flower isn't perfect, but I'm sure they'll get better the more I make them. I also LOVE how quick and cheap they were to make. Hobby Lobby didn't have bulk felt in either navy or hot pink, so I bought the squares, which were 4 for $1.00. I made the flower with one & a half squares. It also took hardly any time. The most tedious part was cutting out the flowers, which took about 10-15 minutes.

We're doing a buffet for the wedding. So since the plates will be by the food, and not on the table I didn't want the table to be empty and boring, and I think this will be perfect.

Edit: They were perfect for our wedding decor! It took 11 people and many, many hours to make enough, but it was totally worth it!

All photos by JJ Horton Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!