Salsa is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. It is by far my favorite condiment. I prefer it over ketchup as a dipping sauce for fries. I put it on burgers, I like it on breakfast sandwiches. I could very happily eat it with a spoon like soup.
After finding this recipe on Pinterest, I will never, ever buy salsa in a jar at the grocery store ever again. This recipe gives you about ten cups of salsa for the cost of what one jar would cost. And it tastes better and has no preservatives.
If you try this out, I doubt you'll enjoy it as much as I do (that just isn't possible), but I do hope you absolutely love it.
Restaurant Style Salsa
(Recipe adapted from this one.)
- 1 28 Ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 3 cans (10 Ounce) Mild Rotel
- 1/2 of a red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- Juice from half a lime
- Roughly chop half an onion and throw in the bowl of a food processor.
- Remove the seeds & membranes from a jalapeno, roughly chop it & throw it in the processor.
- Pour tomatoes (juice & all) in with the onions and jalapenos.
- Add the seasoning & lime juice.
- Pulse until you have reached your desired consistency (I turned mine on & let it run for about 20 seconds to get this consistency).
1) Make sure you have a big enough processor. This makes a TON. I have a ten cup food processor and I have a small mess every time.
2) Cilantro would be good in this. Graham doesn't care for cilantro so I leave it out.
|Obviously it's good on chips...|
|It's perfect on DIY burrito bowls.|
|It's just what boring rice needs...|
|Topping for a black bean burger? Yes, please!|
|Perfect "sauce" for a breakfast pizza...|
|Amazing on tacos...|
And... you know what's even better than a giant bowl of salsa? Salsa AND the weekend! It's Friday!!! Hope everyone has an absolutely wonderful weekend!